Main Forum

A walk in the forest

5 replies
Votes:
+84
Developer: Designer
Hello all,

It seems that I've posted images that primarily feature different aspects of the terrain, but considering my work schedule, etc, landscaping is the easiest and quickest way I've been able to get work done to help us get that much closer to release.

This screenshot shows a nearly complete section of forest, located a short distance from the primary settlement. As I live in an area that looks very much like this, I suppose that I am a little biased toward the look and feel of the region in which I reside :) Of course, the entire map won't be covered like this - that would pretty much kill any machine trying to render the level - but where there will be forests, both deciduous and coniferous, they will look very much like this. The fog effect is an attempt to give an idea of the dynamic weather/sky/light cycles that we'll have in-game.

As a side note, the FPS in this scene, for me, was averaging 41 as I ran around inside the level. And that is on what many would probably consider a middle-of-the-road system. Give or take.
Attached Images
Posted Jun 12, 17 · OP · Last edited Jun 12, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+432
Admins
Developer: Producer
Site Moderator
What no Mcdonalds? :p
Posted Jun 12, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+351
This is beautiful.. how likely is to get lost there? (in real world)
Spec Ops, do you use world machine?
Posted Jun 12, 17
Votes:
+432
Admins
Developer: Producer
Site Moderator
While I never visited Washington State I did spend quite a bit of time in the forests of NY 3000 miles away. Y

es, its very easy to lose your direction in the tall trees (thatch why the relay towers :) ). I used to carry a key chain compass when I hiked in the Adirondack Mountains and on State Preserver land. My dog, a black lab, had an uncanny sense of direction too, I never got lost.

I Imagine in Washington, which is more mountainous and a far larger State than NY, it is much more likely to get lost if you're not paying attention.
Posted Jun 12, 17
Votes:
+60
Admins
Site Moderator
Very nice :thumb:
Posted Jun 12, 17
Votes:
+84
Thank you IN00 :)

I did not use World Machine, though I have it on my PC. I used GeoControl 2 for the terrain generation, but the foliage, and other landscape assets (rocks, water, etc) were created with a variety of asset packs from the UE Marketplace (in addition to a few I made in Blender).
Posted Jun 12, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Top Posters
1119 Posts
923 Posts
159 Posts
149 Posts
114 Posts
There are no birthdays today.
Upcoming birthdays (2)
Birthday on Thu 11 Oct, 2018